One of the hero classes in Diablo 4 is the wizard, a traditional spell that can use fire, ice, and lightning. With dozens of skills, you may wonder which ones are suitable for progression. Here’s our Diablo 4 Sorcerer leveling build guide to help you choose the best skills for the campaign.
Diablo 4 Sorcerer leveling built for the beta
The leveling build of Diablo 4 Sorcerer mainly focuses on the area of effect (AoE) due to the numerous enemy mobs you have to take down. Additionally, as we are still in the beta phase of the game, characters are limited to level 25. For a more in-depth explanation of each ability, you can also visit our Sorcerer overviews regarding active skills, talents/passives, and the spell . mechanic.
Base: spark (flickering) – Spark is your spammable spell that can easily bounce off other enemies. It’s also a way to generate Crackling Energy, little orbs that cause lightning to eject from your character to hit nearby enemies.
Core: Chain Lightning (destructive) – Chain Lightning bounces off enemies and your character, with critical hits that can also cause Crackling Energy.
Defensive: Frost Nova (mystical) – Frost Nova is ideal for the Diablo 4 Sorcerer leveling build as it is an important spell for crowd control. Not only will enemies become frozen, but they will also become vulnerable (i.e. take more damage).
Incantation: Hydra (invoked) – The Hydra is something you put down, as it is a creature similar to an automatic turret. It will quickly shoot down enemies, and your critical hits will also increase the chance of critical hits.
Mastery: Meteor (from the wizard) – Meteor has a huge AoE radius, made even better by the Enhanced variant. With this, hitting three or more enemies gives the chance that another Meteor will crash.
Ultimate: deep freeze – Deep Freeze acts as your emergency button, as it makes your character immune for four seconds. In addition, you deal extra damage, apply the chill effect and cause an explosion when the duration is up.
- Elemental Attunement – This is usually to reset Frost Nova (or any other defensive ability you choose) cooldown.
- Glass Cannon – Another viable option for extra DPS, although it also gives you more damage in return.
- Static Discharge – This increases the chance of a cracking energy being formed when your Shock abilities are critical.
- Fireball – Killing an enemy with any skill will cause them to explode; this fireball deals 50% of its damage.
- Basically, every kill leads to an explosion, and more things go “kablooey” because of the proc.
- Enchantment passives do not require the spell itself to be equipped in an active/castable slot, but it does require a minimum of one point/rank. Gear pieces that give a rank are also considered unlocked.
Diablo 4 is currently in beta. As such, some information here may change as we get closer to the game’s official launch on June 6. We will update this guide accordingly. For now, you can visit our class hub.
The products discussed here have been independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may get a share of the proceeds when you buy something on our site.