It’s time to get your flu vaccination. Lyster Army Health Clinic launched the 2022 flu campaign in October to protect individuals from flu, its complications and prevent the potential spread of the disease. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, curbing the spread of respiratory diseases such as flu this fall and winter is more important than ever. It takes the body about two weeks after vaccination to make antibodies against the flu virus. That’s why an early flu shot is ideal.
Lyster flu vaccination schedule:
• TRICARE Enrolled beneficiaries aged 6 months and older: Vaccination Clinic – Primary Care Clinic (PCC). Schedule your appointment by calling (800) 261-7193.
• Walk-in clinic for school aged children aged 5-17 years 5 Nov from 8am – 12 noon Lyster, Primary Care Clinic (PCC). Use side entrance -near Pharmacy Refill
• Walk-in clinic for TRICARE Beneficiaries aged 18 and over November 14 from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Lyster, room V117
The goal of the annual flu vaccination campaign is to protect all soldiers and their families, Army Department civilians, healthcare workers, retirees and school children of Fort Rucker from the flu. This year’s campaign runs through December 16. The seasonal flu vaccine is recommended every year for everyone 6 months and older, with rare exceptions. People at high risk for complications from the flu include infants, young children, pregnant women, adults 65 and older, residents of nursing homes or long-term care facilities, and people with underlying health conditions. Flu is unpredictable and flu season in the US typically runs from October to May. Seasonal flu sickness usually peaks between December and March, but the illness may not appear until May.
TRICARE has information on free and co-pay options, should you decide to go to the retail pharmacy network for your flu vaccination, please visit https://tricare.mil/flu.
If you or your child is receiving a vaccine outside of the military treatment facility (MTF), remember to get a record of the vaccination and share the information with your primary care manager. This way you can be sure of the completeness of your family’s vaccination data.
Take daily measures to prevent the spread of the flu.
• Wash your hands with soap and warm/hot water
• Use an alcohol-based disinfectant when hand washing is not possible
• Cover your mouth or nose when you cough or sneeze
• Avoid contact with your nose, eyes or mouth
• Avoid contact with people who are sick
• Stay home if you have flu-like symptoms
To stay informed about flu vaccine availability, follow Lyster’s Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/LysterArmyHealthClinic/.
Beneficiaries can schedule appointments at the Lyster Army Health Clinic by calling the Lyster Central Appointment Line at 800-261-7193 or through the MHS GENESIS patient portal at https://my.mhsgenesis.health.mil