What you need to know today, Thursday, September 15, 2022.
High: 76; Low: 54. Sunny.
Organize employees: A dozen employees at a pizzeria in the city of Harrisburg did something unusual in the restaurant industry last month: they decided to form a union. Such attempts may become more frequent, some experts say, as industry workers now have an unusual amount of influence.
- Also see: Lower leaguers need 17 days to unionize
Rail Deal: President Joe Biden said a preliminary agreement has been reached to avert a nationwide railroad strike that could have crippled shipments of everything from crude oil and clothing to cars. Yesterday, Amtrak canceled long-haul travel pending.
- Also see: OSHA warehouse safety program aims to reduce deaths and injuries
Fatal Shooting: Harrisburg Police are investigating the death of a man found outside a vacant house yesterday. They think he was shot accidentally.
- Also see: Coroner identifies 49-year-old woman killed in stabbing
Oz, Fetterman Debate: Republican nominee for the US Senate, Dr. Mehmet Oz, has agreed to debate Democratic opponent John Fetterman, who said he will attend October 25, under three conditions.
- Also see: How to resolve the debate on debates | John Baer
Rally for Mastiano: Donald Trump Jr. heads to Chambersburg tomorrow for an open-air meeting for Republican Doug Mastriano, who is running for governor.
- Also see: Sign up for our free Pa. Election 2022 weekly newsletter
What’s at stake: Attempts to ban or restrict LGBTQ curriculum in Pa. schools depend on who wins the governor’s race.
- Also see: Your Complete Guide to Governor Candidates
Voting claims: Conservative activists across the state are trying to stop the use of electronic voting machines, at the urging of former President Donald Trump and his allies, who still claim without evidence that the 2020 election was fraudulent.
- See also: Dad. provinces are prepared for election day, says official
Autumn concerts: A number of interesting and notable artists will be taking center stage in Pa. this fall, with headliners including The National, Five Finger Death Punch, The Killers, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Restaurant Week: About 18 places showcase their cuisines during Harrisburg’s restaurant weeks, with deals now running on weekdays through September 23.
- Also see: Supply chain issues delay pub opening
dark park: The spooky season starts early in Hershey. Hersheypark’s new Dark Nights and Chocolate World’s Halloween-themed attractions open on Saturday.
Penn State chooses: Penn State football travels to Auburn on Saturday. This is what we think will happen.
- Learn more: Interested in sports betting? Sign up for news, advice and promos with our free newsletter
High School Choices: Here are our picks and predictions for this week in Pennsylvania high school football.